Friday, September 28, 2007

Firetrucks in Heaven?

This is a note to all those Sunday School Teachers out there who spend countless hours with the children of the world, teaching them about the love of Jesus, Noah's Ark, Adam and Eve, Daniel and the Lion's Den and all the great stories of the Bible.
Can I make a request of you?? From here on out, could you please not teach kids under the age of, say, eight, about heaven??
Let me explain.
Since your talk about heaven a few weeks ago, a trip in our car goes like this: (MC is my four year old Mick)

MC: 'Mommy, are there firetrucks in heaven?'
ME: I think there'll be firetrucks in heaven, sure.
MC: 'What about race cars? And trees?'
ME: Yeah, definitely!
MC: 'when do we get to go to heaven?'
ME: Not for a long time
MC: 'Is it 2 or 3 plane trips?'
ME: We don't take an airplane
MC: 'Oh, do we take a rocketship?'
ME: (giggling) No, Jesus is going to come down from Heaven and take us up
MC: 'like on a cloud?'
ME: Yes, on a cloud!
MC: 'Like Mary Poppins!!"
ME: (laughing) Yes, just like Mary Poppins
MC: 'but if you die do you go to heaven?'
ME: yes
MC: When are you going to die?'
ME: Not until long after you've grown up, I hope. A very long time from now.
MC: I don't want to grow up, I want to stay four years old'

silence for about two minutes, me on the verge of tears! then he says this:

MC: If you're in heaven, who is going to be my mommy?

Let's just say I couldn't answer right then as the tears were flowing down my face!!!

The above conversation has been taking place 9 out of 10 car rides in some shape or fashion....I'm going to have to go to seminary just so I can have a conversation with my four year old!! Last week he told me that he didn't want to go to heaven because daddy said puppies aren't in Heaven!! Of course, I had to tell him that daddy was mistaken, and that puppies are most definitely going to be in heaven!!

So, as much as I appreciate all you do for our kids, my family and all the kids who come to Sunday School week in and week out....could we keep the stories to something I might be able to explain. How about next week you discuss the Trinity? :-)

No comments: